Well, we returned from camping about a week ago and I am finally finishing up my laundry. It sits there and clogs up my laundry room for about a week after each year’s camping trip, and when I am finally finished it is just so satisfying! 🙂
I was thinking the whole time I was gone about how I would describe this camping trip to you when I got home. It was a really good trip. While I was there I made a list in my head of things I do when camping that would be distasteful or unnatural to me normally. Here’s my list (in no particular order):
- The freedom of going make-up-less
- Sleeping in the same “room” with my kids
- Changing my clothing with only a thin piece of canvas between me and the rest of the world
- Drinking out of whatever water bottles I find sitting around because the campground water tastes worse
- Showering while the aroma of some stranger’s soap still lingers heavily in the air
- Eating a piece of chicken that fell in the sand and didn’t quite get “washed” off (even though I tried really hard)
- Wearing the same smelly clothes for a couple of days in a row
- Going to sleep in a sleeping bag that, because of the humidity, feels like it was in the lake before I crawled into it (YUCK!)
- Using the privy with neighbors in the stall next to me
- Walking the 1/2 mile long pier light walkway in a raging wind with waves crashing over my shoes and clothes while surrounded by my children running gleefully ahead of me to give me a nervous heart attack 😉
Well, that sums up my trip. I hope you enjoyed it! I’m just kidding.
The trip was really great. It was the first time that I can recall wanting to camp longer. Usually I’m ready to come home after day 2! Scott knows that sleeping outside and dirt are really not my favorite, so he was extra sensitive to my feelings and helped me to relax and just enjoy myself. He reminded me to breathe and remember that dirt can be cleaned up. Even though we had two days of rain showers, because of the 11 days we were there we still managed to do a lot of fun activities. I think that my favorite activities were the simple ones; playing ladder golf, biking along the lake shore, hiking the beautiful trails, kayaking with Scott, eating ice cream at House of Flavors, and watching the kids have fun in the lake. It was a very relaxing and wonderful trip. One of the highlights of the trip was that my sister and her family came up from Pennsylvania to vacation with us, and we got to spend an afternoon on the beach together as well as several nights around the campfire and a ride on her boat. I had not seen her for about 2 1/2 years, so it was wonderful to visit again!
Here is the story, told by photos, with a few words added for fun!